Have you ever felt as though everyone around you has been promoted while you have been left behind?
While it’s normal to compare your career trajectory to those around you, it is important to recognize that moving forward in your career often requires a different skillset beyond demonstrating mastery of your daily work.
Many clients that I work with are surprised and confused when they learn that their work alone doesn’t necessarily move them ahead. They even feel disheartened because despite years of hard work and consistently meeting their goals, they haven’t yet received the promotions they feel they deserve.
So, what does this mean for your career? What are those skills you need to “move ahead”? If your career feels stuck – how do you unstick it?
(1) be essential; add irreplaceable value
(2) get clear on your vision – know what you want
(3) engage in conversation with your boss or mentor so that they will partner with you on achieving your vision
(4) build a fan base so that other people champion and support your moving ahead – even when you are not in the room,
(5) ask for what you want and get explicit about how that helps others
(6) negotiate the next steps for how/when you can move ahead
I know it isn’t easy but if you feel stuck, there are tons of things you can do to loosen the hold. And last but definitely not least – stay flexible, open -minded and open-hearted, because opportunity can come to us in many different options and avenues! And sometimes it is what we least expect!
career development, promotion, skills, mastery, visioning, negotiation